Its main feature is the simplicity of our national salad. With classic traditional ingredients, fresh and hygienic, it is the central dish on the Greek lunch daily.
Its ally the olive oil that gives it a unique aroma and amazing taste and fresh summer vegetables, rich in colors that give an image, eye charms!
Whichever restaurant you go to in Chania do not forget to order it.
But why not make it by yourself?
Here's the recipe for authentic rustic salad.
- 2-3 tight but ripe tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 cucumber cleaned, sliced or washed
- 1 small dry onion, sliced or into rings.
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into rings
- 6-8 black olives
- 150 g feta cheese, in one piece
- 5 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Some salt
- Slightly drained capers (optional)
In a salad bowl put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, pepper and olives. Pour in 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and vinegar (optional), salt and mix gently. Place the feta cheese over the salad, sprinkle with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and add capers, if desired. Serve immediately.
Add Purslane. In addition to being very healthy it adds a distinct flavor.