The Catholic Church of Chania city
The Catholic Church of the city of Chania is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and is the seat of the Catholic Diocese of Crete.
Starting from Plateia 1866 and descending Halidon Street to the Old Venetian Port of Chania, on our right we will meet the beautiful Trimartyri Square, the Orthodox Cathedral and Metropolitan church of Chania city.
Opposite the square of Trimartyri, on our left as we go down to No. 46 of the street, there is a small door with a small inscription and a coat of arms of the Franciscan Capuchins that is engraved above the entrance.
Getting into the entrance we are in a beautiful inner courtyard, which is dominated by a beautiful church of neoclassical style.
The catholic church is a three-aisled basilica, built in 1879. It has neoclassical and Renaissance architectural elements. Right next door is a Franciscan Capuchin monastery with a long history, which was renovated in 1991.